Wednesday, February 6, 2013


Valentine's Day White Velvet Cupcakes!!!!
Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday of all time!!!! It is celebrated far and wide (and for much of the month of February) in my household :-) And Valentine's Day Cupcakes?! What a sweet delight to bake and give to the one you love. 
In preparation, I have purchased many a Valentine / heart / pink & white kitchen gadget with which to perform this loving task -


Those darling pink and red heart-shaped cupcake liners are made out of silicon and are reusable - GUSH!!!!!!!!
Given my love of all things Valentine, you can imagine my sorrow when I realized I will be out of town and away from my kitchen next week on a book tour....When, JOY OF JOYS!!!, my mother came to the rescue with her special favorite Valentine Cupcake recipe - White Velvet Cupcakes. These are a DREAM, and the special treat she bakes for my dad every year for Valentine's Day! 
So straight from my mother's kitchen to yours!!! - AND, for your sweet ears to enjoy, I left the recipe written exactly as she sent it to me so you can get a sense of just how precious and adorable my mother is!!!!

White Velvet Cupcakes 
- Eleanor Delaney

I have the White Velvet Cup Cake recipe.  It is as follows:
 
350 degrees
4 lrg egg whites
1 cup milk
2 1/4 tsp vanilla. 
3 cups sifted cake flour  ( make sure it is cake flour and that you sift it)  Most important!
1 1/2 cups sugar

1tbl. plus 1 tsp baking powder, 

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tbl. softened butter
 
Fill 2 12 cup cake pans with liners.  In med bowl combine egg whites, vanilla and  1/4 cup milk.  In lrg. bowl
combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Mix together to blend.   Increase speed for 1.5 min.  

Add egg whites, vanilla and milk mixture in 3 equal parts, beating for 20 seconds between additions.  Pour

into tins 2/3 to 3/4 full.    Oven 15-to 20 min.  Let cool completely. At least 10 min or frosting will melt.
 
Frosting - 2 sticks softened butter, 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 tbl vanilla, 1 tbl. milk or a little bit more if needed
for the right consistency.   Combine all ing. and beat.    DO NOT REMOVE PAPER LINERS.

    
or - 
Choc butter cream frosting

2 sticks softened butter    

3 1/2 cups conf. sugar

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp. vanilla

4 tbl. heavy crean
Cream butter for a few minutes  on med.  Sift (do this, or there will be lumps)  powdered sugar and cocoa
in same bowl until absorbed by butter.  Add vanilla, salt and cream.   Done!
 
or -
Marshmallow Frosting
2 sticks softened butter
1 cup conf. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 sm jar of marshmallow fluff           Combine all ing. with beater.
 
You can buy different colored sugar sprinkles to sprinkle on top of frosting.
Or you can buy beautiful individual sugar flowers for the tops.
 
For a heart shaped choc. top
Melt milk choc.  I just use Nestles choc. chips.   depending on how many you want to make,
get a sm. or lrg.  Make sure you have a lot because you might make mistakes, so you want to make
sure you have enough choc.  I put the chocs. in a microwave safe bowl.  I don't know how long you leave
it in for, just check after 30 seconds.  You don't to melt the choc. completely.  Almost, and then you
can stir it to the right consistency   Using a sm. zip lock bag, pour choc. in pushing it to one corner, then
cut a teeny tiny hole in the corner.  Twist bag tightly - make sure you have zipped the bag closed.  Then
make a heart shape on the parchment covered cookie sheet.  It takes a few times, at least it did for me to
get it just right.  Put whole pan in freezer.  Doesn't take very long to harden.  Remove, ever so gently,
and stick on top of cup cake.  Your hands are warm, so it melts very quickly.

and......here is her postscript......
About the cupcakes!!!  I just remembered - all that talk about teeny, tiny hole in the corner of the zip lock bag
for the melted choc. to make choc. hearts.  Whew!!!!!   Don't make a teeny, tiny.  I think it might work better
with a bit larger hole so as to make the hearts thicker.  They might not break as readily.  And, I melted some
white choc. and drizzled it over the top of the cup cake after frosting it but  before placing the choc. heart on ever so gingerly.
I'll try to send you the picture of the cupcake.  I'm not sure if this new computer can do that.  We'll see.
That's it then,  Aren't you glad you asked me for the recipe?    mmmmmmm??   xxoo
   
 HERE IS HER PICTURE!!!!!!!! without further ado - TAH DAH!!!!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment