Sunday, March 24, 2013

German Breakfast Cupcakes




For those of you who happen to enjoy nibbling on SWEETS for breakfast, TAH DAH!!! The German Breakfast Cupcake!
Similar in texture and taste to a verrry sweet pancake, these cupcakes are light and fluffy, which was quite appealing.
This recipe is from my mother, Eleanor Delaney, who has also baked them brownie-like in a 9 x 13 pan with better results than I had baking them as cupcakes, as you will see below :-)








German Breakfast Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 400
Yield 6 large cupcakes

1/4 cup butter
1cup flour
1 cup milk
3 teaspoon sugar (I used 3 tablespoons because I have a wicked sweet tooth read: a problem)
1teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 or 6 cage-free eggs (I used 4 eggs, my mother 6)
strawberries, raspberries, and/or blueberries - frozen OR fresh. I used frozen raspberries and blueberries and sprinkled them with sugar to bring out a bit of their natural juices.




From my mother's kitchen and own words!!!
"2 cups of the berries. I just used a lot. More than 2 cups. (I used slightly less than 2 and found it to be plenty!)
Melt butter in measuring cup in microwave. Distribute equally in the bottom of cupcake tins - I used a 6 cupcake, large cupcake pan.
Mix all of the ingredients together. Then stir in the berries. Pour batter into the tins.
Bake for about 25 min. Sprinkle immediately with powdered sugar. Lots. Although, not too
much - makes me cough. Now you may gobble it all up..."

I topped 1 cupcake with homemade whipped cream and actually found it to be even yummier than the others!



Whipped Cream, optional
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine and beat until stiffens, plop immediately into the fridge - best served cold - also best to freeze beaters and bowl prior to using!

Now...because I feel I should share the cupcake-baking disasters as well as the triumphs (we are all human here, yes??!!) let me tell you about the Ruined Experiment Cupcakes.
My husband requested no excessively-sweet-loaded-with-berries cupcakes for his breakfast, so I made him 2 all for himself before I added the raspberries and blueberries. Apparently, the berries add a heaviness to the cupcakes required for baking. I did not do well in chemistry class; therefore, there was a small explosion in my oven this morning. Happily, I had slipped a baking sheet on the oven rack beneath my cupcakes, which collected the majority of the mess that ensued.
And for your viewing pleasure, photos of the alleged Ruined Experiment Cupcakes:






No comments:

Post a Comment