Monday, April 8, 2013

German Chocolate Cupcakes

(Also called "Lucky's Special Favorite Best")



My husband just adores the coconut-y (yes, that's a word!) goodness of German Chocolate Cupcakes and I like to give him everything his heart desires.
I have no earthly idea where this recipe came from, I only know these were the cupcakes I baked for Lucky's birthday the first year we met so they are extra special ;-) Let us assume they came from the Kitchen Goddess herself, my dear friend Martha Stewart. Whenever in doubt, always assume Martha.



German Chocolate Cupcakes
Yield 24
Bake 20 minutes at 350* (rotate 1/2 way through!)

1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 cage-free eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
5 oz semisweet chocolate, melted (I used Nestlé's chocolate chips)

Whisk flour, baking soda, salt in small bowl.
Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
Add eggs 1 at a time, beat until blended.
Add vanilla.
Add dry ingredients in 3 portions, alternating with buttermilk.
(At this point I tasted a spoonful of the batter and it was already yummy!!!)
Add melted chocolate and beat until smooth.
The batter should be thick and creamy.



Bake for 20 minutes, rotating halfway through.

Frosting

3 cage-free egg yolks
1can (12oz) evaporated milk
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 2/3 cups coconut (I like sweetened coconut)



Stir on stove on medium high heat until thick the egg yolks, milk, brown sugar, and butter. Remove from heat and add the vanilla, salt, and coconut. I let it sit about 15 minutes to thicken further. Frost and tah dah!!!!!!!!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment