I found these yummy (HEALTHY??!!) cupcakes on the blog Whipped. The author claims these babies will, and I quote, "knock your socks off and make you totally forget about your old bff’s butter and buttermilk…"
and dear readers, she is correct!!!!!!!!!
Very Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes
Yields 14 standard sized cupcakes or 48 mini cupcakes! eeeek! 48?!?!
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened plain soy milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
For the Vanilla Frosting:
- 1/2 cup Crisco vegetable shortening (I just adore shortening!!!!!!! - so old-school :-)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-3 tablespoons unsweetened plain soy milk
*For the Strawberry Frosting variation add 2 tablespoons strawberry puree (drained thoroughly) and omit vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) cupcake pans with 14 cupcake liners or 2 (24-cup) mini cupcake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy milk, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake standard sized cupcakes for 15 to 18 minutes (or mini cupcakes for 8-10 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
For the Vanilla Frosting
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the vegetable shortening until smooth.
- With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon soy milk at a time, as needed, until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Beat on high for another 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
*For Strawberry Frosting Variation
Omit vanilla extract. Add 2 tablespoons strawberry puree to vanilla frosting mixture after Step 2 from above (right after you have beat in powdered sugar and soy milk) and continue to beat on high until light and fluffy.